What are Hydrogen Stocks?
Hydrogen stocks are companies focusing on the production of hydrogen fuel cells. These companies primarily include those that produce hydrogen fuel cells, although many also sell hydrogen gas and alternative energy production equipment.
Hydrogen is the most abundant element on earth. But it does not exist as a gas. Therefore, it needs to be separated from other elements. Hydrogen can be produced from multiple which are: fossil fuels, nuclear energy, biomass, and renewable energy sources. And there are multiple processes via which this can be done. Investors always choose the best brokers that better suits his/her trading goals.
The global hydrogen market size was USD 145.67 billion in 2020. As per Fortune Insights, the global hydrogen generation market is projected to grow from $150.20 billion in 2021 to $220.37 billion in 2028 at a CAGR of 5.6% in the forecast period.
Types of Hydrogen
- Grey hydrogen is the most common form and is generated from natural gas, or methane, through a process called “steam reforming”.
- When the carbon generated from steam reforming is captured and stored underground through industrial carbon capture and storage (CSS) is referred to as Blue Hydrogen.
- When water is split into two hydrogen atoms and one oxygen atom through a process called electrolysis, the outcome is Green Hydrogen. Green hydrogen is also referred to as clean hydrogen because it is used by using clean energy from surplus renewable energy sources, such as solar or wind power
The number of companies exploring the hydrogen sector is growing. Stock trading advisory websites help investors make the right financial decisions. Many energy and industrial companies are in the early stages of exploring the possibility of hydrogen energy. And many companies have established themselves well in the sector and are emerging as market leaders.
List of the Best Hydrogen Stocks
Let’s look at some of the best hydrogen stocks worth investing in 2022:
|Sr.||Company Name||Symbol||Market Capitalization||Price as of 24th June 2022|
|1||Linde||LIN||$ 152.4 billion||$ 303.23|
|2||Air Products||APD||$ 55.9 billion||$ 252.08|
|3||Cummins||CMI||$ 27.5 billion||$ 195.02|
|4||Plug Power||PLUG||$ 10.75 billion||$ 18.23|
|5||Bloom Energy Corp.||BE||$ 3.03 billion||$ 18.08|
|6||Nikola||NKLA||$ 2.363 billion||$ 5.61|
|7||Ballard Power Systems||BLDP||$ 2.045 billion||$ 6.86|
|8||Powerhouse Energy Group||PHE||GBP 64.3 million||GBP 0.0162|
Linde is a leading global industrial gases and engineering company. The company serves a variety of end markets including chemicals & energy, food & beverage, electronics, healthcare, manufacturing, metals, and mining. Investing in fintech stocks is a smart investment move today.
Linde is a global leader in the production, processing, storage, and distribution of hydrogen. It has the largest liquid hydrogen capacity and distribution system in the world. The company also operates the world’s first high-purity hydrogen storage cavern, coupled with an unrivaled pipeline network of approximately 1,000 kilometers to supply its customers reliably. Linde is at the forefront of the transition to clean hydrogen and has installed close to 200 hydrogen fueling stations and 80 hydrogen electrolysis plants worldwide. The company offers the latest electrolysis technology through its joint venture ITM Linde Electrolysis GmbH.
Linde reported its quarterly report for the year 2022:
- Sales were reported at $ 8.2 billion, a 13 % increase from the prior year
- Operating profit was reported at $ $ 5.1 billion
- Earnings per share were reported to be $ 2.3, as compared to earnings per share of $ 2.93 the previous year
Linde has a market capitalization of $ 149 billion. The share of the company is currently trading at $ 297.59. The stock of Linde has been on bullish runs for the last two years. In 2021, the stock went from $ 263.51. to $ 346.43, representing a 31 % increase during the year. In 2022, the stock has declined by 14.2 % to date.
Get to know about top Infrastructure stocks to invest in.
Air Products is a world-leading industrial gases company in operation for over 80 years. Air Products develops, engineers, builds, owns, and operates some of the world’s largest industrial gas projects, including gasification projects that sustainably convert abundant natural resources into syngas for the production of high-value power, fuels, and chemicals. Oil stocks are one of the riskier yet most profit-generating sectors.
Air Products has announced the following updates:
- A $ 2 billion hydrogen, pipeline, and Sustainable Aviation Fuel expansion project at World Energy’s production and distribution hub in Paramount, California
- A $ 1.3 billion of on-site awards demonstrating continued leadership in serving the growing semiconductor industry
- A new facility to produce green liquid hydrogen in Casa Grande, Arizona to serve the hydrogen for mobility market in California and other locations requiring zero-carbon hydrogen
Air Products reported fiscal 2022 second-quarter results:
- Sales of $ 2.9 billion, a 17 % increase from the previous year’s same period
- Net income of $ 537 million, a 13 % increase from the previous year’s same period
- Earnings per share of $2.38, a 12 % increase from the previous year’s same period
Air Products has a market capitalization of $ 55 billion. The share of the company is trading at $ 246.18. The stock of Air Products has been extremely volatile in the past two years. In 2021, the stock started at $ 285.74, rose to $ 310, and closed the year at $ 304.26.
In 2022, the stock started at $ 304, dropped to $ 219.38, and is currently trading at $ 246.
Semiconductor stocks are also one of the best investment opportunities.
Cummins, Inc. designs, manufactures and markets diesel and natural gas engines. It operates through the following segments:
- Engine – The Engine segment manufactures and markets diesel and natural gas-powered engines
- Distribution – The Distribution segment consists of parts, engines, power generation, and service, which service and distributes its products and services
- Components – The Components segment supplies products such as after-treatment systems, turbochargers, transmissions, filtration products, electronics, and fuel systems for commercial diesel and natural gas applications
- Power Systems – The Power Systems segment engages in power generation, and industrial and generator technologies.
- New Power – The New Power segment designs, manufactures, sells, and supports electrified power systems with components and subsystems, including battery, fuel cell, and hydrogen production technologies
Cummins reported first-quarter results for the fiscal year 2022:
- Revenue was reported at $ 6.4 billion, a 5 % increase from the previous year’s first quarter
- Net Income was reported at $ 418 million,
- Earnings per share were recorded at $ 2.92,
Cummins has a market capitalization of $ 27.6 billion. The share of the company is currently trading at a price of $ 195.38. The stock of Cummins started the year 2021 at $ 227.1 It peaked at $ 273.92 in March ’21 and started its downward journey. By the end of the year, the stock closed at $ 218.14. In 2022, the stock continued its bearish journey and has declined by 10.5 % to date.
Get to know the best quantum computing stocks.
Plug Power is building the hydrogen economy as the leading provider of comprehensive hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) turnkey solutions. The Company’s innovative technology powers electric motors with hydrogen fuel cells amid an ongoing paradigm shift in the power, energy, and transportation industries to address climate change and energy security, while providing efficiency gains and meeting sustainability goals.
Also, check out the best swing trading stocks.
Plug Power created the first commercially viable market for hydrogen fuel cell (HFC) technology. As a result, the Company has deployed over 50,000 fuel cell systems for e-mobility, more than anyone else in the world, and has become the largest buyer of liquid hydrogen, having built and operated a hydrogen highway across North America. Plug Power delivers a significant value proposition to end customers, including meaningful environmental benefits, efficiency gains, fast fueling, and lower operational costs.
Plug Power Inc. announced its 2022 first-quarter results:
- Net Revenue was reported at $ 109 million, more than a 100 % increase from the previous year’s same period
- Net Loss was reported to be $ 156.5 million
- Net Loss was reported at $ 0.27
Plug Power has a market capitalization of $ 10.7 billion. The share of the company is trading at $ 18.1. The stock of Plug Power started off in the year 2021 at $ 33.91. It peaked at $ 66.8 in January’21 and started its downward journey. By the end of the year, the stock closed at $ 28.23. In 2022, the stock continued its bearish journey and has declined by 36 % to date.
Investing in value stocks is a long-term investment.
Bloom Energy Corp.
Bloom Energy is a company that designs, manufactures, and sells solid-oxide fuel cell systems for on-site power generation. It develops Bloom Energy Server, a stationary power generation platform that converts standard low-pressure natural gas or biogas into electricity through an electrochemical process without combustion. The company serves a range of industries, including banking and financial services, cloud services, technology and data centers, communications and media, consumer packaged goods and consumables, education, government, healthcare, hospitality, logistics, manufacturing, real estate, retail, and utilities. Cybersecurity stocks are also one of the best investment opportunities.
Bloom Energy recorded the first-quarter report for the year 2022:
- Revenue was reported at $ 201 million, an increase of 3.6 % from the previous year’s same period
- Net Loss was reported at $ 78 million, an increase of 3.6 % from the previous year’s same period
- Earnings per share were reported at a negative $ 0.44
Bloom Energy has a market capitalization of $ 3.1 billion. The share of the company is trading at $ 18.25. The stock of Plug Power started off in the year 2021 at $ 28.66. It peaked at $ 42.36 in January’21 and started its downward journey. By the end of the year, the stock closed at $ 21.93. In 2022, the stock continued its volatile behavior and has declined by 17 % to date.
Investors are now looking for the finest solar energy stocks to invest in.
Nikola Corporation is globally transforming the transportation industry. As a designer and manufacturer of zero-emission battery-electric and hydrogen-electric vehicles, electric vehicle drivetrains, vehicle components, energy storage systems, and hydrogen station infrastructure, Nikola is driven to revolutionize the economic and environmental impact of commerce as we know it today. Get to know about RSI trading strategies.
Nikola Corporation Reports First Quarter 2022 Results:
- Net Loss was reported at $ 153 million
- Net Loss per share was reported to be negative 0.37
Nikola has a market capitalization of $ 2.27 billion. The share of the company is trading at $ 5.39. The stock has been on a bearish trend for the past two years. In 2021, the stock went from $ 15.26 to $ 9.87, representing a 35 % decline during the year.
In 2022, the stock has declined by 45 % to date.
Tech stocks are also one of the best investment opportunity.
Ballard Power Systems
Ballard Power Systems Inc. engages in the design, development, manufacture, sale, and service of proton exchange membrane (PEM) fuel cell products. The company offers its products for power product markets, consisting of heavy-duty motives, such as bus, truck, rail, and marine applications; material handling; and backup power. With the demand for AI technology increasing, investor interest in Artificial Intelligence stocks has also increased.
Ballard Power also provides technology solutions, including engineering and technology transfer, as well as licenses and sells intellectual property portfolio and fundamental knowledge for various PEM fuel cell applications; and hydrogen fuel cell powertrain and vehicle systems integration solutions. It operates in many countries including China, Germany, the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Denmark, Norway, Belgium, Japan, France, Spain, Taiwan, Poland, India, Ukraine, and Sweden.
Ballard Power reported the first-quarter report for the year 2022:
- Revenue was reported at $ 21 million, an increase of 21 % from the previous year’s same period
- Net Loss was reported at $ 40.4 million
Ballard Power has a market capitalization of $ 2 billion. The share of the company is trading at $ 6.74. The stock of Ballard Power started off in the year 2021 at $ 23.4. It peaked at $ 38.68 in January’21 and started its downward journey. By the end of the year, the stock closed at $ 12.56. In 2022, the stock continued its bearish trend and has declined by 56 % to date.
Get to know everything about high-frequency trading.
Powerhouse Energy Group
Powerhouse Energy is the creator, designer, and developer of sustainable technology to transform plastics and waste into clean energy. Also read Forex trading vs Stocks trading.
Powerhouse Energy’s technology produces hydrogen from non-recyclable plastic Construction of its first commercial-scale plant started in 2021. In August 2021, as per the company’s announcement, an agreement was signed with Hydrogen Utopia for the use of its technology in Poland, Greece, and Hungary. Powerhouse Energy Group also has an agreement with Peel NRE to establish 11 waste-to-hydrogen plants across the UK over the next few years, with the option of exclusive rights for 70 facilities in total.
Give a read to a list of the Best NFT Stocks that can earn you great returns if you invest in them today.
Powerhouse has a market capitalization of GBP 67.5 million. The share is trading at a price of 0.01708 p. The share peaked at 0.098 p on the last trading day of 2020. Since then, the share has been on a bearish journey. The stock started the year 2021 at this peak price and closed the year at 0.044 p. This represents a 55 % decline within one year. In 2022, the stock has gone from 0.044 p to 0.0178 p, to date. This represents a 60 % decline in less than six months.
You may also like reading:
- Best Commodities to invest in
- Best Swing Trading Stocks To Buy Now
- Best Stock & Forex Trading Courses
- Gold Stocks to Buy in 2022
- 11 Best ESG ETFs to Buy in 2022
- Best Penny Stocks to Invest
- Monthly Dividend Stocks to Buy